IV. | Clue (1985)

Clue is an American black comedy-mystery film released in 1985. It is also one of the first films that come to my mind whenever adaptations are mentioned since it was adapted from one of my favorite board games, Cluedo.


Board games are definitely not as popular as books or comics when considered for an adaptation. Due to this, I think Clue is a rarity. What makes me love it even more is how this film does not just adapt the board game but also adds to it. Well, every adaptation does this but not always as successfully as Clue


By taking the characters and the story, which is basically a murder mystery, from the board game, and adding comedy into it, Clue became a great adaptation with a cult following. I also really like the fact that it has various endings, just as how you can get a different ending each time you play the board game, and they initially released the film with different endings on cinemas. 


And now they are doing a remake! I am not sure if it is necessary, but it means a new Clue film, and I think it will be interesting to compare it with the 1985 version and the board game. To me, a whodunit never gets old, and with the success of Knives Out, I guess we will see new ones and, of course, new adaptations and remakes in the coming years.

Comments