III. | Better Days (2019)

After our lecture this week, Better Days immediately came to my mind, which is a 2019 Chinese drama film directed by Derek Tsang. It tells the story of the friendship between a bullied teenage girl and a boy. To be honest, I do not follow Chinese Cinema closely. So, I would probably not come across this film if it did not get nominated for Best International Feature Film at the 93rd Academy Awards. Thanks to this, I had the chance to see it, and I have liked it since then. 


I think it is an excellent film in general, but the reason it came to my mind is the close-up scenes this film has. I find them really beautiful and effective. I believe that Better Days is a film in which the audience has to understand the characters thoroughly, and with the use of close-up shots, it does this quite successfully.


Comments