II. | Look at Life (1965)

After the screening of La Jetée (1962) in this week's class, I wanted to find similar films out of curiosity and for the preparation of Project 1. While searching, I came across Look at Life (1965). It is a one-minute short film by George Lucas which he made for a course while studying in film school. 


These two films have similar aspects, but there are also differences. Both of them use still images, but while the images used in La Jetée were shot for the film itself, Look at Life uses found images. Therefore, it can be considered as a collage film. Even so, there are many transitions in Look at Life similar to La JetéeFor instance, zooming into specific details of the images was used considerably, but my favorite was in the image below. With keeping one of the images 'still,' a transparent version of the same image is used to create an illusion of movement, and I think it is pretty great!


In addition, as someone who is interested in archiving and preservation, I am happy I was able to watch this film and see iconic images from the 60s. You also can watch it from here!

Comments